We purchased the house in 2010 because we appreciate the Greek Revival architecture in Panama. This house has a long history and it deserved to be restored and renovated to its original grandness. It took almost 6 years of hard work, but we have endeavored to keep the historical integrity of this grand old building intact. It seemed the perfect house for a bed and breakfast, so that was our goal.
The house is featured on the 1867 Chautauqua County Wall Map
The house is also featured in Jewel Conover’s book, Nineteenth Century Houses in Western New York, published in 1966. The caption under the photo reads:
“Another Steward house in Panama was built about 1827. The Ionic scrolls are larger than usual, owl-like, and the design is much simplified on the pilasters and on the Ionic columns flanking the entrance. A wood carver and carpenter named John Newhouse worked on some of these Panama houses, and local tradition has it that he carved Greek-style columns out of solid tree trunks.”
Some of the prior occupants of the house include, The John Steward family, the Jesse Whitney family, the Our Lady of the Snows Roman Catholic Church and the Hugh Wood Sr. family.